Saturday, February 5, 2011

Blog #3- ChatRoulette

For the third blog assignment, I bit the bullet and went on ChatRoulette. I forced some of my friends to do it with me- I don't think I would have the courage to do it alone! As you can imagine, we came across some unfortunate things, but the experience wasn't all bad. We talked a bit to some guys we were matched up with that were from Ireland, which was a neat experience. We also talked to some people from South Carolina for a bit as well. It blows my mind how people from all over the world and connect with one another randomly through a website and have the ability to talk and see one another. This website gives people the chance to communicate with others that they never would have had the chance to otherwise. Internet technology has evolved at such a rapid rate, I can't even picture what the internet will be like in another 10 years.

However, one thing that I don't understand is that with all of the technology, wouldn't ChatRoulette be able to find those that are being inappropriate and not allow them to use the site? I know you can report people, but obviously the method isn't effective enough because it is still going on.

All in all, the site definitely has its perks and its drawbacks. I think overall that it's an extremely impressive site from a technological standpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment