Monday, March 21, 2011

Practicum 3 - Eric

I reached my 10-edit status, so now I can actually edit semi-protected pages. I also learned about their different protection statuses (if anybody wants to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Protection_policy). They have pages that can only be edited by admins, only by registered users, pending changes, and permanently. Though the unprotected pages can be edited by anybody and are visible immediately, every edit that's made is logged in a backup. To revert back to the page before inaccurate data or vandalism is as easy as clicking "undo" on the edit history list. In that same list, you can see every edit made to the page and information about that edit (user, time, notes, etc.), so I feel like it's safer than people might think because it's so easy to fix bad changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment