Friday, April 15, 2011

Practicum - Brandy Cummings

So I decided to do some research on MUDs. I know we talked about how Wikipedia is not a reliable source, but I found myself clicking on the Wiki link first. It was interesting to learn that there are many different types of MUDs such as: hack & slash, player vs. player, role playing, social, talkers, educational, and graphic. I would say that BatMUD falls under the categories of social and graphic. BatMUD is a social MUD because there is an in game chat and online chat. Users are able to talk to each other and post on the discussion board. I consider BatMUD to be a graphic MUD because it uses computer graphics to represent parts of the virtual world. Most MUDs are solely text-based, but BatMUD has both text and images. Under the description of what a graphic MUD is it says that most MUDs that have images require their users to download a special client. On the BatMUD website there is a special client users can download. Unfortunately, the client is kind of expensive so I will not be downloading it. I wonder how much different/cooler the game would be with the client though. Every time I log into the game, I first read the 'newbie channel' to see what users have been chatting about. There was a lot of game strategy being exchanged between users. I feel that users are definitely beginning to warm up to the newbies because they are more willing to answer questions and give advice. I also unlocked a spell during the game, I have no clue how I did that.. I probably accidentally typed in the wrong text command. I also learned that there is a "hardcore" version of BatMUD available on the web. I think the original BatMUD is pretty hardcore and confusing, I cannot image what the "hardcore" version is like.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brandy - I'd hate for you to come away thinking that this class promotes the idea that Wikipedia is unreliable! Yes, it can be, but it can also be a really great starting point for learning about a topic, and it's a pretty remarkable site in a lot of different ways.

    In this case, it seems to have helped you think about BatMUD quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete