Monday, February 7, 2011

Farrell-Blog 3 Chatroulette

So...
I've been on chatroulette before, unfortunately, but only for about 10 seconds. This time, because it was for this blog post, I stayed on longer. I immediately regretted by decision.

First off, I was asked by facebook whether or not I would allow access to the site. Since when is facebook linked to chatroulette? I was concerned. The site then asked if i wanted my camera and microphone on. Alright, a little creepy but i can just deny the camera right? O man, did I have no idea what I was in for.

I could not believe my eyes. At first, I only saw a few creepers just staring longingly into their own camera, which made me laugh a lot considering they looked so productive. Then it all went downhill. Whose idea was this?? This site shocked me. I'm hoping what happened on that camera was not the creator's intention, but somehow i doubt it. What has this society come to? Then i thought, would this site be considered social networking? It has the option of chatting, whether it be through the computer or face to face, but this is pushing it to another level. But yet again i thought, maybe this is the kind of interaction some find enjoyment out of where as people like me kept hitting the "next" button in disgust. This site is a way for people to judge others on their looks alone, which is not too far from reality. But the private parts....I mean really? Are you that bored? Some people had the camera actually facing their crotch area, but no "magic," which gave me relief but also confusion. Were these posers of the site or regulars? I couldn't tell.

In all, my experience with Chatroulette was most educational as it opened my eyes to a world i didn't think would exist. Actually, in all honesty, the way technology and social media has been going, i have to say this site didn't exactly surprise me; however the random, um, "sticks" if you will, surprised me enough. Connecting to others through the media comes in all shapes, sizes, and forms. Chatroulette is one of many and may bring happiness to others, but I am not one of them.

2 comments:

  1. I went on Chatroulette and denied the camera and sound options. When I did that, I could not figure out how to access the website and experience the interesting or creepy people you and others have blogged about. I am interested in what you said about Facebook and Chatroulette because I think that might be taking it too far to have every social "network" linked to Facebook. Did anything show up on your facebook about Chatroulette?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin, I'm pretty sure it won't connect you without connecting at least audio or video, if not both. I tried it that way my first time, too!!

    ReplyDelete