Friday, February 4, 2011

MySpace - Brandy Cummings

For this blog post, I decided to look at 15 different profiles on MySpace. I choose this option because it is the one that I know the most about. Chatroulette creeps me out. My roommates and I actually went on Chatroulette one night because we were curious to see what it was all about. I do not think we will ever do that again! I was shocked to see that MySpace changed its login page. I actually like it a lot better than the old one. I was browsing up and down the page checking out all the songs and videos they have uploaded. They even have a 'TV' and 'Moves' tab at the top of the page which is new. One thing that kind of creeps me out about MySpace is how you can browse for a certain type of person. By doing an advance search, there is a pull down tab where you can pick the range of money a person makes and your search will come back only with people who make within that income range. How crazy is that. I decided to narrow down my search to 20-21 year olds, no gender preference, but who live in the Madison area. Surprisingly, my search results came back with mostly female profiles. After browsing through some profiles, it seems to me that these girls are not 20 or 21 year olds. They definitely have to be still in high school and they are just trying to make themselves more appealing by making their age a couple years older than what they really are. A lot of the profile pictures are the typical "MySpace photo" where a person will take the picture themselves by holding the camera in front of them in the bathroom. This is pretty common for many MySpace users. Lastly, I do not like how you can have backgrounds on your MySpace page. I feel that it adds clutter and becomes a distraction. I definitely appreciate Facebook for its simple layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment