Monday, March 14, 2011

Practicum #2--Kate

For my second practicum post I'm looking into Delicious. When first entering the site I already like Digg more. While Digg does not make it apparent they are owned by a corporation, Delicious is obviously owned by Yahoo, and displays it proudly on their banner on top of the page.

When first taken to the page the "hotlist," the most popular bookmarks. These bookmarks are interesting...to say the least. AWS Elastic Beanstalk is one of the most popular bookmarks, and I don't quite get it, it's very tech-heavy. Four out of 10 of the popular bookmarks are all heavy on techy stuff. Many of the popular tags are things like "javascript," "web design," "linux." I obviously have to register and login to get the most out of this site.

The registration process was simple enough, at least for me. It's not like a regualr website where you type in your own username and password, but with this you could only use a Google ID, Facebook, or Yahoo ID to register. I used my Google ID, because once again I don't need everyone knowing on Facebook what crazy websites I'm looking up.

Delicious really wants you to download their toolbar add-on. It does make it so much easier to bookmark websites, but I already have the Stumble Upon toolbar add-on, and I don't need it getting really cluttered on my Firefox browser. To add a new bookmark without the toolbar it's really quite a tiny link in the corner of the web page.

So far, my impression is Digg becomes much more personalized for the user after registration while Delicious does not and is just more of sharing website. Will look into this more with further practicum posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment