Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Blog #7 - Jeff More

So I know It's not exactly cool to post blogs for class discussion after the due date, but I spaced and feel bad about it, and I decided to do the assignment anyway.

As it happens, today was a great example of the sort of computerized stuff I deal with every day. Although the assignment asked me to track all computerized things I use during the evening, I think I'll start from the very morning. My cell phone has a very sharp and distinct notification tone, and since the University is so nice as to spam us with about forty emails every day I woke up to my phone notifying me about the latest email that was sent to me. It's almost as reliable as an alarm clock.

Later today I went to Vilias to work on my 3D Computer Animation project, which involved using one of the Macs in the Hamel Lab. The setup there is actually kind of interesting, because you can access your project from any computer linked to the XSAN drive. If you've been through CA 355 you know what I'm talking about.

By far, though, my favorite computer-related activity of the day was trying to fix my roommate's computer so he could write a paper due on Thursday. Both of us have home built computers (one of us did it the right way, the other did it the cheap way) and he hasn't been able to turn on his computer since the weekend. I almost got it working by using a paper clip to short some connections on the motherboard, but it seems like a lost cause.

By the end of the night I was using my cell phone to find out where my friend wanted to go for her 21st birthday. I suppose this post makes it seem like my phone is the dominant computerized device in my life. As much as I hate to admit it because I see my phone as more of a distraction than a useful tool, it's probably true.

No comments:

Post a Comment