Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Blog #7- Michael Warren

Last evening I tracked all of the computerized things I used, and while at first I was a bit surprised it wasn’t a ridiculous amount of things, I then realized that the reason I only use a pretty select amount of computerized objects is because of their wide-spreading functions. Between my laptop and my iPhone, I pretty much have access to most any information and utilities I could possibly need.

My full list of things I used at the end of the night was my laptop, iPhone, iPod, TV, Nintendo 64, piano keyboard, and microwave. Like others, I was a bit unsure of where the distinction came in between something that was mechanical and computerized. I figured the piano keyboard qualified as a computerized object being that it stored a lot of data such as different sounds and songs I record. I use that a pretty good amount in my evenings, and it’s funny because it always feels like an organic, un-computerized experience, so I forget I’m using something computerized at all. Then I realize the whole point is that it’s computerized to give me the simulation of playing an actual piano. I’m not sure if a microwave is considered something computerized (I’m going by the definition, “a system that is operated or controlled by computer”) but because there are so many specific functions of a microwave, there has to be a computer-related piece of hardware in it which allows all of the regulatory functions. As for the TV, I spent the night watching a number of television shows and movies, played some Nintendo 64, and even ended the night using my DVR to watch old episodes of Whose Line Is It Anyway?. It used to be much harder to get so much use out of a television. As for my laptop and iPhone, I used my laptop mostly to send e-mails last night, however I also used it for web surfing, playing games, and listening and downloading music. I used my iPhone for texting, calling, playing games, and surfing the web. The iPhone was particularly useful for ending petty debates about trivial information among bickering friends while watching TV.

To be honest, I first expected my list to be much more expansive, however I think the multi-functionality of these objects is what makes it unnecessary to use so many. I can get the same function out of my iPhone as my computer, plus I can text, call, and use utilities. On the TV, I have tons of options of shows and movies, I can hook a video game like Nintendo 64 into it, and I can watch prerecorded material if nothing else is on. I think as computer technology expands, a major point will be to make sure computerized objects have multi-functionality. It seems that without that, there is no staying power.

No comments:

Post a Comment