Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Practicum 6 - Eric

I've tried communicating with and "friending" (as much as you can on Wikipedia) other users. I still find it kind of odd that you can't personally message others except via email. It feels weird just kind of rewriting their user talk page to communicate with them. This entire concept reminded me of a mix between a forum and this google experiment (http://www.chromeexperiments.com/detail/your-world-of-text/) where anybody can change any of the content. Everything felt impersonal and like I was just kind of invading their personal space. Anyway, I got a few responses discussing content of some pages, but it looks like a lot of users don't check the pages they're following all too often (I'm guilty).

The thing that got me the most though is if I look on my watchlist, I find a few users who seem to edit almost every article that I watch. This is the "best" user I have found (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tbhotch) and s/he has a very decorated and award-filled profile. Again, with the heirarchy, this user has actually moved up and has rights on English Wikipedia pages to Review, Rollback, and AutoPatrol pages. S/he also has 10 extra awards that all include improving a page to either "good" or "featured". If I had more time and Wikipedia was my life, I would strive to be this user.

2 comments:

  1. I had no idea that people who edited Wikipedia could be recognized based on their contributions! It is a very intelligent move for the owners because it helps encourage people to post accurate information. Some thoughts I had: I wonder what the requirements are to be awarded/recognized/given special privileges on the website. Who determines what information is correct and if they are policing the accuracy of content anyway, why don't they just post the right information in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is kind of weird that Wikipedia is so impersonal yet you can edit anyone's posts. I feel like if I just went to someone's article and started editing it I would feel like I'm completely invading their space (and god forbid you edit it with something that isn't correct). It's strange that you could literally not speak with any of the people but still go in and change what they have written. I'm not sure I would like that either if I wrote something about which I am an expert and then some person that I do not know in the least came and edited what I had written. Not cool...

    ReplyDelete