Sunday, March 27, 2011

Practicum #1 - Patrick

For my project, I have been working on the topic of specialized information communities. Specifically, I was interested in online activism and involvement regarding censorship and media freedom in the Middle East and North Africa. As a result, I began investigating how to become involved in what is known as OpTunisia, OpLibya, and OpIran, all projects of Anonymous.

I became interested in these projects as a result of communication with friends and acquaintances in the hacking community in that part of the world. I had met many of them during the Green Revolution in Iran. During that time, I began to hear about how remote activists could get involved from overseas. People could help inform activists within countries that were attacking them (metaphorically and often physically) on how to evade tracking, keep the flow of information in and out of the area going, and more. I wanted to be part of that, and I needed to find the communities and tools that would allow me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment