Sunday, April 24, 2011

Practicum Post 6 - Brandy Cummings

So I made it to a different continent! It's called Desolathya and I have no clue how I managed to do that. All of a sudden it showed my avatar on a ferry crossing the ocean. I thought by the end of this project, I would be a pro at BatMUD but I was definitely wrong. Once I made it to the new continent, I gained a 'reward.' I never have seen these 'rewards' before. I did some research on the website and I guess if you gain enough rewards you can use them while on different continents. Hopefully I will acquire more rewards before my last blog post so I can tell you guys what they are used for. I also learned another new spell called Aegis. Aegis is used to prevent damage to armors and weapons during combat. I have yet to be part of a combat battle. I kind of want to though because I think it would be pretty cool to see what all goes down. However, I do not think my avatar would survive a fight.. a duck? Yeah.. no way. I would need to learn more spells in order to have a chance to make it out alive. Speaking of death, that is another thing I am curious about. I wonder if your avatar can die. I tried asking this question in the newbie channel, but no one seemed to know the answer. After browsing around BatMUD.com I noticed that there are 90 different quests in the game. I do not even think I made it further than quest 3 so far. The quests take so long to figure out because your avatar will not do anything unless you are typing in the right text commands. I also found it hilarious that there is a Top 500 Player List for the week on the website. As I was playing the game, I started to question whether or not BatMUD is really a virtual community. I remember touching upon this subject during my presentation. I said that it is because it is a place where users from all around the world gather to play this game they all love playing. Yeah there are the chat channels which make it a bit more personal and there are conventions that take place in various locations around the U.S. each summer, but would one really consider this a virtual world? When I'm logged into BatMUD, I do not necessarily consider myself joining a community. I always just think I am playing a game.

No comments:

Post a Comment